Religious Truths By Iris
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discourse on Repentance:

Go down

Discourse on Repentance:  Empty Discourse on Repentance:

Post  Admin Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:05 am

Discourse on Repentance:

WHY REPENTANCE IS NECESSARY:

The subject of repentance can not be understood unless we first understand why repentance is necessary; therefore, let's look at what the scriptures have to say on the subject:

" Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:" (Romans 5:12 AV) which shows that repentance is necessary as sin entered the world.
This is also clearly shown by, "9 ¶ And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:
10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted." (Luke 18:9-14 AV).

This is further made clear by, " For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;" (Romans 3:23 AV) therefore making clear we need to turn our lives from sin and repent.

LIVES MUST BE BROUGHT IN HARMONY WITH GOD'S (YHWH'S) WORD:

Let's see what the Bible has to say with regard turning our life around.

First consider:

"This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,
18 Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:
19 Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.
20 But ye have not so learned Christ;
21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:
22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness." (Ephesians 4:17-24 AV) which clearly shows we must strip off the old personality with its works of uncleanness and greed. This would include depraved sexual lust, God dishonoring false dogma, greed, hate of fellow man, hedonism, lasciviousness, etc.

Now consider:

" For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries:" (1 Peter 4:3 AV) which just reinforces what was said in Ephesians, clearly showing we must turn our lives around and STOP walking in "lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries [these would include belief in false dogma, practices and traditions including hero worship]:"

Likewise:

" Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:
6 For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:
7 In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them.
8 ¶ But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.
9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;
10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:" (Colossiams 3:5-10 Av). This scripture once more clearly shows we must STOP practicing "fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:" Therefore we can see for true repentance, we must cease and decease from practices that are NOT approved by God (YHWH).

TRUE REPENTANCE REQUIRED WHEN ONE TURNS TO GOD:

Clearly the Bible shows true repentance required when one turns to God; let's review a pertinent scripture on this subject:

" But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance." (Acts 26:20 AV). Ah, here we see, we must do works that "meet for repentance." What could some of these works be? Well some of these words would be ceasing to do the things one previously did that go against his laws and principles and that bring dishonor to him. What are some of these? Well as previously shown, these would be such things as lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries [these would include belief in false dogma, practices and traditions including hero worship], of course it would not be limited to simply not doing these wrongs, but would require effort to counteract the effects of your previous wrongs such as exposing false dogma, starting to love your fellow man, and ceasing to live a hedonistic life style and warning others against such things as deviant sex, illegal drug use, and other debasing things.

Remember:

" The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." (2 Peter 3:9 AV). This should clearly behoove us to turn our life around. It should be clear that Almighty God (YHWH) takes no delight in those who refuse to do so. This is made clear, "11 Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel? 12 Therefore, thou son of man, say unto the children of thy people, The righteousness of the righteous shall not deliver him in the day of his transgression: as for the wickedness of the wicked, he shall not fall thereby in the day that he turneth from his wickedness; neither shall the righteous be able to live for his righteousness in the day that he sinneth. 13 When I shall say to the righteous, that he shall surely live; if he trust to his own righteousness, and commit iniquity, all his righteousnesses shall not be remembered; but for his iniquity that he hath committed, he shall die for it. 14 Again, when I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; if he turn from his sin, and do that which is lawful and right; 15 If the wicked restore the pledge, give again that he had robbed, walk in the statutes of life, without committing iniquity; he shall surely live, he shall not die. 16 None of his sins that he hath committed shall be mentioned unto him: he hath done that which is lawful and right; he shall surely live." (Ezekial 33:11-16 AV).

In fact:

" I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance." (Luke 15:7 AV), clearly shows that God (YHWH) and his Son, Jesus (Yeshua or YHWH saves) are made joyful by sinners who truly repent.

ACCURATE KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED FOR REPENTANCE:

We must gain accurate knowledge to strip off the old personality as clearly shown by:

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith." (Romans 12:1-3 AV) which clearly shows we must make our lives over to be acceptable to God (YHWH) and this can only be done by "not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind" which we all know is through study to gain accurate knowledge so "not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind". Likewise, "through the grace given unto me," we should, " So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another." (Romans 12:5 AV).

To help others and ourselves to come to an accurate knowledge, we should:

" Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." (2 Timothy 2:15 AV). We must study God's (YHWH's) word and let others in a spirit of neighbor love know the truth also.

Last, but definitely not least, we must:

"9 Be not guilty of falsehood one to another: having stript off the old man, together with his practices,
10 And having put on the new-who is being moulded afresh unto personal knowledge, after the image of him that hath created him,-" (Colosians 3:9-10 Rotherham Bible)

CHRISTIAN TEACHING EMPHASIS REPENTANCE:

At " And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come." (Matthew 24:14 AV) Jesus (Yeshua or YHWH saves) gave the command to his true followers to witness to the nations and this is clearly emphasized as follows:

"Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God,
15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel." (Mark 1:14-15 AV). Therefore, for true repentance acceptable to God (YHWH) and his Son, Jesus (Yeshua or YHWH saves) to take place action on our part to make the word of God (YHWH) know to others is required.

In fact, this is so important that repentance can only take place:

" And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem." (Luke 24:47 AV)

This truth is further highlighted as:

"And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead." (Acts 17:30 AV). From this we can see ignorance will no longer be tolerated clearly showing ignorance of God (YHWH) dishonoring dogma and of his laws and principles will no longer be tolerated by God (YHWH) or by his Son, Jesus (Yeshua or YHWH saves). Therefore, it is truly important, as shown by this scripture to turn our life around.

Also, true repentance requires faith:

"And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house,
21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ." (Acts 20:21 AV) clearly that our leader, Christ Jesus (Yeshua or YHWH saves) the only " For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;" (1 Timothy 2:5 AV) " taught publickly and from house to house"; therefore it is clear we to should "Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ."

Last, but not Least:

" And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem." (Luke 24:47 AV); which is in complete harmony with the commission Jesus (Yeshua or YHWH saves) put on ALL his genuine followers as follows, " And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come." (Matthew 24:14 AV)

WHAT HAPPENS IF IN A MOMENT OF WEAKNESS WE COMMIT A SIN?:

First we must remember our savior Jesus Christ (Yeshua or YHWH saves) is compassionate in carrying out his assignment given to him by his Father (YHWH), "19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.
20 ¶ But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.
21 For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.
22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.
24 Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.
25 For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet.
26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.
27 For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.
28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all." (1 Corinthians 15:19-28 AV).

" My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:" (1 John 2:1 AV); clearly shows we have an "advocate with the Father" who will assist those genuinely trying to live their lives in harmony with God's (YHWH's) will so we should fear not in these cases.

This compassionate nature of our savior Jesus Christ (Yeshua or YHWH saves) is made even clearer by:

"Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.
2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ." (Galations 6:1-2 AV). As can be seen from this scripture that if one inadvertently takes a false step we are under obligation to "ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ." This would be of no purpose if the errant one's mistake could not be corrected.

Therefore, because we are all sinners, in order to merit the mercy and compassion of our leader Jesus Christ (Yeshua or YHWH saves) we must:

" Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent." (Revelation 2:5 AV), thus true repentance is the key to our savior extending his love and mercy to us.

NOW, WHAT IS REQUIRED FOR MERCY?:

First, we must confess our sins and wrong beliefs to God (YHWH) through his Son and only mediator between God and man, and not to some false mediator or go between such as a priest, statue of a saint or the Virgin Mary, etc.

" He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy." (Proverbs 28:13 AV)

And:

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us." (1 John 1:9 AV).

And:

" I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the LORD; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah." (Psalms 32:5 AV)

So we can see from the above scriptures, it is necessary to confess our sins to God (YHWH) through his Son and only mediator between God and man, and not to some false mediator or go between such as a priest, statue of a saint or the Virgin Mary, etc.

HOWEVER, NO REPENTENCE IS POSSIBLE FOR INDIVIDUALS WHO ACCEPT GOD'S MERCY AND THEN RETURN TO A WILLFUL PRACTICE OF DISBELIEF AND SIN:

It is clearly shown that it is impossible for those who once enlightened willfully return like " But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire." (2 Peter 2:22 AV) to gain the benefits of repentance, or in other words, once saved is not always saved:

"For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.
7 For the earth which drinketh in the rain that cometh oft upon it, and bringeth forth herbs meet for them by whom it is dressed, receiveth blessing from God:
8 But that which beareth thorns and briers is rejected, and is nigh unto cursing; whose end is to be burned.
9 ¶ But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation, though we thus speak.
10 For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister.
11 And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end:" (Hebrews 6:4-11 AV)

And:

"For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.
31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God." (Hebrews 10:26-31 AV)

And:

"For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God.
21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:
22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:" (2 Peter 2:20-22 AV).

As can clearly be seen, as stated at the beginning of this section "it is impossible for those who once enlightened willfully return like " But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire." (2 Peter 2:22 AV) to gain the benefits of repentance, or in other words, once saved is not always saved:"

MERCY AND COMPASION LIKE THE MERCY AND COMPASSION OF OUR SAVIOR, JESUS CHRIST IS REQUIRED OF US:

Just as Jesus (Yeshua or YHWH saves) extends mercy and compassion to us, we must also extend it to others:

"Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.
3 And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him." (Luke 17:3-4 AV)

And:

"For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:
15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." (Matthew 6:14-15 AV)

Which clearly shows that if we are genuine followers of our leader and savior Jesus Christ (Yeshua or YHWH saves) we must be like him and extends mercy and compassion to others.

LAST, WHAT IS THE INDICATION OF TRUE REPENTANCE?:

Clearly we must first:

" If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land." (2 Chronicles 7:14 AV)

We must turn back from our former wrong course of action and false belief:

"When I shall say to the righteous, that he shall surely live; if he trust to his own righteousness, and commit iniquity, all his righteousnesses shall not be remembered; but for his iniquity that he hath committed, he shall die for it.
14 Again, when I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; if he turn from his sin, and do that which is lawful and right;
15 If the wicked restore the pledge, give again that he had robbed, walk in the statutes of life, without committing iniquity; he shall surely live, he shall not die.
16 None of his sins that he hath committed shall be mentioned unto him: he hath done that which is lawful and right; he shall surely live." (Ezekial 33:13-16 AV)

And:

"Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord GOD. Repent, and turn yourselves from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin.
31 Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel?" (Ezekial 18:30-31 AV)

This need to turn your life around and repent is once more emphasized in the New Testament:

" Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;" (Acts 3:19 AV)

Last, but not least, remember we must confess our transgressions to God (YHWH) in prayer through his Son, Jesus (Yeshua or YHWH saves) who is the only " For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;" (1 Timothy 2:5 AV), and as his assignment from his Father (YHWH) mediates towards us " But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises." (Hebrews 8:6 AV):

" He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy." (Proverbs 28:13 AV)

Now to know the truth, go to:

1) http://religioustruths.forumsland.com/

2) http://www.network54.com/Forum/403209/

3) http://religioustruths.lefora.com/

4) http://religioustruths.boardhost.com/

5) http://religious-truths.forums.com/

6) http://religioustruthsbyiris.createmybb3.com/

7) https://religioustruths.forumotion.com/

To enjoy an online Bible study called “Follow the Christ” go to, http://religioustruths.lefora.com/2012/0...ble-study/

Your Friend in Christ Iris89

Francis David said it long ago, "Neither the sword of popes...nor the image of death will halt the march of truth. "Francis David, 1579, written on the wall of his prison cell." Read the book, "What Does The Bible Really Teach" and the Bible today, and go to http://www.jw.org!

Admin
Admin

https://religioustruths.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down